Student’s card

NOTE: This information is aimed only at those students or researchers who will remain in Spain for one academic year or more.

All students and researchers must show their entry stamp in their passport or must be able to certify their date of entry in Spain (for instance, by showing an aeroplane ticket), at the police stations or foreign nationals’ offices in the city where they are to live.

Applicants for a student’s card must report to the police station or foreign nationals’ office within 30 days of their entry in Spain, and must present the following documents:

  • The application form, duly completed, which can be downloaded here.
  • Certificate of enrolment at the university and the dates of the course.
  • Passport (original and photocopy).
  • Photocopy of the page of the passport showing the entry stamp or proof of entry (e.g. an airline ticket).
  • Four photos.

For a list of offices where applications for student’s cards should be presented, please consult:

The student’s card is valid for a year, or for the duration of the studies or research. It may be renewed for as long as the person remains a student.

The card entitles students to work either part-time or in short temporary jobs, provided that the income gained is not essential for their support during their stay in Spain.

Some Spanish universities offer guidance services for international students and researchers which help them to obtain their student’s card. Please consult the list of this and other services “Who’s who at Spanish universities”.